Remote Work: the new way of working.
As a result of the appearance of the COVID-19 virus and its expansion around the world, a new way of working has been born that brought with it multiple benefits for both employees and employers.
The coronavirus pandemic that appeared in 2019 changed the business world, forcing us to understand the way of working in a totally different way. Due to the restrictions imposed by the WHO (World Health Organization) to avoid the risks of infection, we were forced to maintain physical distance from each other, and this led to the activities that were part of our lives such as working, to become a risky situation for our health.
In this context, teleworking or remote work has become the most viable way to sustain jobs and economic activities. Despite the fact that many companies were financially affected at the beginning of the pandemic, they managed to get out of the water thanks to this type of work, which, although it already existed, was not popular at all, but due to the rapid advance of digitization and new technologies, its use was consolidated at the most appropriate time.
In Latin America and the Caribbean, it is estimated that while in 2019 only 3% of workers carried out their activities remotely, that number increased by 35% during the pandemic. But what is really interesting is that as companies experimented and evaluated new ways to stay afloat, they discovered that there are many benefits that remote work brought them.
Several people have found that their productivity and efficiency levels have improved during their approach to working remotely. According to a study carried out by Microsoft, in which 3,600 employees from 36 cities around the world participated, 41% of workers said they were satisfied with remote work and another 15% considered that this type of work method is positive and would like to work with it. Currently, two main remote work schemes are being used:
- Permanent remote work model. A model for companies that do not contemplate the possibility of having physical facilities, either because their employees work from different parts of the world or simply because they prefer it that way. For this model, it is essential to have digital tools and management software that guarantee workflows, promote communication and the achievement of objectives.
- Hybrid remote work model. It is the most flexible work model, for this reason it needs policies and agreements signed by the company and the worker, which guarantee equal rights and conditions. It combines both remote and in office work. Companies have a physical space for essential activities, team meetings and clients. Employees can work some days of the week in the company's office, also having the possibility of teleworking.
The previously mentioned teleworking models are effective as long as companies have the appropriate tools for their management. Such effectiveness is reflected in important benefits for the company.
Advantages of remote work:
- Savings in transportation and mobility. As it is a remote work modality, the only fundamental requirement is to have a stable internet connection and this does not oblige the worker to have to move to a certain place. You can work from home as long as you have what is required.
- Better organization of time. By having discipline and knowing how to establish and respect the work schedule, we can better organize our time, thus having available hours for our personal matters without our work tasks being affected.
- Better possibilities to balance work with family life. Did you know that human beings spend 12.5 hours a week, 55 hours a month, 27 and a half days a year in city traffic? Extrapolated to a productive life of approximately 40 years, we have an approximate 1,100 days, or 3 years. Knowing this information, it is clear that you will have more time for you and your family.
- Possibility of self-employment. Not everyone likes to have ties to a company and prefer a freelancer career, this is 100% possible through the internet and remote work. You can work for any country in the world or you can dedicate yourself to starting your own online business.
- Flexibility of working hours. The key word here is organization. If we have our work organized and we also have a weekly plan, it will not be difficult to finish your day a little earlier than usual.
- Possibility of work for all. One of the biggest benefits of remote work is the ability to work and generate income for those who have difficulty staying in the job market such as people who have to take care of others, people with disabilities, or people who live in isolated communities.
Benefits for companies:
- Increased productivity by implementing work tasks based on objectives. It has been shown that working around objectives helps to lighten both the work and emotional load for all telecommuting professionals.
- Less infrastructure expenses. Infrastructure represents one of the most important expenses of any company. It is not only about expenses for water, electricity, internet, etc.; but also adequate furniture, attention to work accidents and much more. In this sense, we can affirm that remote work, at a financial level, is extremely beneficial for companies.
- More access to high-level professionals. The internet has no borders; understanding this, it is clear that we have access to professionals located anywhere in the world.
- Fewer sick leave, breaks and/or job desertion. It has been shown that well-organized remote workers, who have a good balance between their work and personal life, tend to get sick less because they do not suffer from the same levels of stress as a professional who spends 8 hours (at least) in an office .
- Increased employee engagement. By feeling good, relaxed and motivated, employees tend to be more engaged with companies. They are more productive and loyal.
At e•Saurio our work method is 100% remote and we can confirm all the benefits mentioned above and more. In addition, we are sure that remote work is a trend that will continue to grow thanks to its great benefits, both for employers and collaborators. What about you, what do you think?
If you liked this article, subscribe to our blog.
Remember that you can find us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter as @esauriook
On LinkedIn as e•Saurio